Saturday, July 5, 2008

Yuppy!!!! I learnt swimming

The weekend has finally arrived in spite of days that were reluctant to pass away. Not always new things happen in life, not every week is exciting, most of them are routine, expected. Office is not exciting at all. Apart from guarding the chair there is nothing much to do. Today while talking to a colleague I learnt he is not less frustrated than me. He said he has headache just because the days are so boring, each and every day in a week has to be passed idle.
Today there was some program, a seminar if I got it right. Our department had organized it, even if it had not organized the paper presenters were from our department and most of us were uninvited. May be it was an attempt to cut down economy. No hard feelings though because of two reasons. First because I was not invited I could go for swimming and I am now close to learning it properly. The second thing is I have been relieved from the burden of taking moral responsibilities when anything wrong goes in the work done by our department because why should I bother about products in which the department didn’t want my participation.
Anyways I think I have learnt quite a lot on how to swim. Learning a new thing is always exciting, it seems so precious however trivial it may appear. I think I will learn it completely after two practices. The swimming was wonderful from another view point as well. We had the company of loads of beautiful girls and one was too beautiful to forget.
I was kicked about the whole swimming thing because it was a sweltering day. On my way to the pool I was sweating profusely and in fact I was already drenched in sweat if not water. It had made me more excited but alas when I reached the spot the sun had calmed down. It had hidden itself behind the black clouds and it was no longer hot. Kathmandu has unevenly distributed habitation, when there is no space in some places few are open and so the climate itself varies within its small area. The spot is cooler than the heart of Kathmandu and when there is no sun that means one won’t be able to enjoy swimming. Just like the heat that had drastically dropped, my excitement was no longer in the proximity of my sight. I got into the water which was warmer than the outside environment; otherwise it would have been really cold to swim. I splashed in the water whose level prohibited it from rising higher than my neck. This is just the second time I have visited the swimming pool and last time I just moved around. I was exuberant thinking that I have started floating and I could even gather some distance inside the water. Wow, I was learning but in vain I realized I couldn’t take breath and bring my head above the surface of water. After reaching a short distance I gasped for air. It was so frustrating, wouldn’t I learn swimming. My friend tried to empower me with some tricks, dos and don’ts and I tried them. I watched as other people swam and tried imitating them but I couldn’t get air and always gasped after covering not more than two meters.
As I sat on the turf watching others swim I fumbled upon how the early men learnt to swim. We learn so many things from mistakes from accidents etc. Many of our precious knowledge have their roots in our blunders. I always have theory for myself for my own questions. I thought may be the ice started to melt as the temperature of the earth began to rise toward the end of the ice age. Early men who were used to walking on ice as they discovered new lands in search of food and shelter, but when ice started melting it must have become really difficult. The same ice which used to be tough and stiff would now crash as one set foot on it. Many of them must have drowned to death while many made attempts in desperation to save their lives. Possibly this attempt helped them learn that one can actually float in water.
Well that is only my guess. May be they tried to float in water after seeing fish and sea animals move inside water without difficulty. They must have tried again and again until they actually learnt how to swim. I however doubt people started swimming after Archimedes brought his theory on water pressure. Learning to swim was indeed a great accomplishment.
I do not give hope easily and there I was again in the water but failed and failed and failed. Then two noble people one of whom had seen me trying to learn swimming last week came to my aid. They not only gave me some tricks but actually helped me implement the trick. Wow in my second attempt I was on the other side of the pool. I had crossed it. I was learning and I had learnt something. It was drizzling but my excitement had only gone higher and I kept practicing and every time I was more kicked.
We hurried back to home when the black clouds had become really scary. I hope to learn swimming after two more visits.

No comments: