Tuesday, July 29, 2008

A wonderful book to read

I do not clearly remember the first story that had my eyes drowned in tears but I guess it was the story of Nicholas and Jacapo, I listened time and again sitting on the lap of my father. The last that had me choked was Mitch Albom’s Five People you meet in heaven just few months back. Then just day before yesterday I sat with lumps in my throat in my bed as the curtains flapped across the wind that was invading my room from the open window. I looked at the night searching for the moon just to see if it has seen lives as portrayed in the book. I knew it has been and will be spectator to so many hardships but the book was really harrowing. The book ‘The kite runner’ by Khaled Hosseini was something I picked by sheer coincidence. The other book I picked next also happened to be his. Both the stories from Afghanistan. I had read and heard about Taliban but just as a news just like any other news. One thing aroused my interest in the country when I saw the statue of Buddha in Bamiyan being destroyed by the Talibans. The issue had raised world wide concern and it had made me desire to know about them. A country I have always felt sorry for, people I have empathized and the cover page of a torn National Geograhic Magazine where a girl with eyes of cat looks into the camera in awe, fear and distress.
The book is a heart rending journey that brought lumps to my throats once again. The book is so simple, yet so penetrating and painful. I wanted the book to lull me sleep yesterday, but it left me awake wandering within my thoughts for a long time. Whenever we read a story we usually bring the characters to life, we form an image of their look and their expression, throughout my struggle to fall asleep the characters refuse to get away from my brain. I felt sorry and I felt betrayed. My heart was completely with one of the character. I have been a kind of escapist lately or should I say overly optimistic I have learnt to live with belief that everything will be fine in the due course and everything that is happening is happening because it has to. When there is something I don’t want to see I just turn away from it, hide my face, and I believe whatever I don’t see is fine and good. Probably this has been my approach with life lately. I might be living in hallucination so when I came across the first bitter experience in the book, I wanted to postpone the whole book. I was not prepared to feel bad not prepared to loose my sleep but I did. The book is so engaging that I can’t postpone it. There is one difference between a story and a novel, in story end comes after an incident but in novel such incidents come and go to be followed by another. A story is a pond while a novel is a river and this book ‘The kite runner’ is a holy one. I have yet to complete a book but I have already slipped it into the list of my best books. I am convinced that the story will unfold more wonderfully but even if it doesn’t whatever I have completed makes it my best book.
Many times good writings go un-noticed because they are so inter-twined but this one has a smooth flow. It is also one of the simplest books I have read, even a school going student in pre-secondary level will understand the book. It has a story of a country ripped by war and imperialist movement. A friendship springs in the backdrop, politics in the country changes the lives of its citizen but more than that its an incident that takes the story forward. It is such a convincing piece a must read.

3 comments:

Keshi said...

Sounds like a treat to the soul.

Keshi.

Macadamia The Nut said...

Kite runner is one of my current favourites as well
The poignancy of the written word never fails to amaze me...
Sigh!

restless_soul said...

@macadamia
I have also finished "A thousand splendid suns" by Khaled Hosseini and its too good as well, some say its better