Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Sarita and incidents of missing money




I was writing a post that began with dreams and how they represented evil omen if I were superstitious. Before I finished the post, mummy called me to tell that Sarita had stolen money once again. For last few days my parents were complaining about missing 5, 10 or 20 rupees bill from their purse and pockets. I always held their forgetfulness accountable. We also tend to forget small expenditures and there was no proof of someone stealing it though if someone was to steal it had to be non other than Sarita. Few months back mummy’s piggy bank was completely dry and upon interrogation Sarita admitted she had stolen the coins. We had her say sorry and promise not to steal again. There were no incidents for a long time and again there were complaints of being stolen.

I always gave her benefit of doubt. I couldn’t believe that she would start stealing when I got her everything she asked for. Regularly I used to give her some money and hardly denied whenever she asked for it. Even today she was asking for 2 rupees which I said I will give when I leave home. Then all of a sudden mummy had this complaint. I was irritated with her for not taking precautions after so many doubts of theft. I told her it was her fault and she said she had done this intentionally so that she would catch Sarita red-handed. I looked into her purse, poured everything into the floor but what I got was only twenty five rupees when it had to be thirty five. She gave me her calculation and they were right. I wouldn’t however be easily convinced thinking she might have forgotten spending the 10 rupees in something. After a bickering with mummy I went to sniff for missing 10 rupees into Sarita’s room. I searched her bag, bed and her suitcase but didn’t find the money. Thinking she might have hidden the money in her socks or shoes mummy went downstairs to check her shoes even she came clueless. When we were preparing table for meal, Sarita came to kitchen just like any other day. Mummy asked her to give her 10 rupees.
Sarita: what 10 rupees?
Mummy: the one you stole today.
(she won’t speak)
Mummy: Either you hand over the money or face the consequences. I will call the police and they will drag you all the way to jail.
Me: Did you steal the money?
Sarita (with a gloomy innocent face): No
I was deceived by her innocent face and now I was sixty percent sure she hadn’t stolen the money. Either mummy forgot something or she misplaced it. I asked her if she is certain that she had 35 Rs. In her purse. She was infuriated. She said, so you believe her and you distrust your mother. I said I was just inquiring and remained tight lipped. We had started having meal. Sarita was looking on the floor as she ate her share of meal.
Mummy: Believe me, this time you won’t get an excuse. Either you hand over the money or prepare to get arrested. I will inform your parents. We treated you like our own daughter and this is the way you return favor. What did we deny that you had to resort to stealing.
Some swearing and cursing followed. I felt sorry for everything and without a word I came to my room. I searched mummy’s bedroom, in the bed, drawers, behind the door, in the dressing table almost everywhere. There was no 10 Rs.
I was changing for office and there came mummy with Sarita. Sarita admitted she had seen the money. She said she had seen the money in the drawer. Then she tried to look for it under a photo frame where she didn’t get. I had seen it right here she said. Mummy said if it was there where can it go. Since mummy had asked me to do not intervene at all I was back to my room. Just then the phone rang and I heard mummy speaking with somebody in the phone. She hung up. Sarita said she had found the money. She said they were behind the door. I was convinced she had stolen the money because just 2 or 3 minutes back I had checked at the same place and had found nothing.
I felt terrible, in fact I had lumps in my throat. When somebody breaks your trust the pain is awful. I doubted my mother just because I had faith in Sarita. Mummy was chiding her. As I left home I said thank you to Sarita and left. When I was at the orchard I could hear mummy scolding the girl. I called mummy and asked her not to chide her. But yes I was myself heart broken. I went to office with one of our tenant and on 30 minutes journey I uttered no words. He said I looked sad. I only smiled back at him.
Understanding that her friends brought money at school and she might feel inferior before them, I keep giving her some coins almost everyday and seven rupees once a week. Not only me mummy, buwa and Santosh also give her money regularly but she still stole. She has one or other requirements every day, last evening she was asking me to get a Barbie. I had bought her a doll during dashain. She says she wants a bag and I had promised her to get one soon after I get the salary. She wanted a particular kind of kurta and mummy made it for her.
To blame her blatantly would be another blunder, I wish I knew why she had to steal money.

2 comments:

Macadamia The Nut said...

*hugs*
It feels horrible right.. to face someone who's stolen something.. even if its just a few pennies.
I knew someone who was a kleptomaniac. Before I understood her problem I used to be aghast each time she stole from us. We knew and yet it was difficult to confront

restless_soul said...

@macadamia
Absolutely, Sarita is no kleptomaniac though. I was left bereaved because she was always a sister to me rather than a maid.