Saturday, July 5, 2008

Weekends

I gave the morning walk a miss today. In fact I was very tired after swimming yesterday especially after I thought I could float in water. One deep breath and I crossed the pool to reach the other end. It was tiresome but the fact that I had started learning didn't allow me to stop. At home my left leg ached and so did my shoulder but no regret as today is a weekend. My weekends are no different than any working days as I still spend most of the time before the computer. I more or less do the same things, go to the internet read things and sit idle. Weekend allows me to change my position while I sit idle. No chairs on weekend. I stretch myself in the sofa or in the low bed or sit on the floor with my legs still spread or folded as if it were some kind of 'asan' of a yoga.

I hate going out on weekends but I would love to travel. Unfortunately I haven't travelled in last one year. I with a small group of friends had planned to foray the outskirts of Kathmandu or to another district in the New Year's day which didn't materialize. No travel means no change, no rejuvenation. I like to feel lonely when I travel. I do not like travelling alone a friend is always welcome but once we set out I want him to be just another stranger, no talks, no nothing. I just want to watch and ponder. Nothing gives more energy than being in a new place by choice.

My weekends have small differences with week days. For example I never drink milk tea early morning in weekdays but without a milk tea in a weekend's morning it seems little incomplete. On weekdays I feel content reading the headlines of a newspaper while on weekends I try to read the content below the headlines as well. On weekdays not more than one newspaper but on weekend I usually get three, one Nepali , one English, and other an entertainment magazine. Had it been possible I would always take a nap after the morning meal so at least on weekend I do not want to miss them. I check my mailbox more than often though they always show I have no new mail. Most of my day passes watching TV, reading books etc. Lunch in home, a little time with family, caress Sane more than often and giggle with Sarita and that's my weekend. Sometime if there is a good release I relish on movies. Depending on the nature of my wish I either go to the cinema or get DVDs at home. If the interest is bigger I hit to the cinema halls if its just a normal wish then I get the DVDs. Sometime if I make it to New-Road I get 4-5 DVDs and spend a whole weekend watching those movies. Its not possible to get every Hollywood flick in Kathmandu in fact there are no big names so I bring DVDs reading the brief information on the movie on its cover. Most of the time I end up spending money on bogus DVDs. I have to bath Sane as well on most weekends. I take bath in the day, sip another cup of tea on a regular weekend.

Though I go to theaters alone when there are exception especially my craving for the movie takes over the waiting my friend to get free some other times, most of the time its with Bibek. I have only two friends with whom I share my time Subash and Bibek. When Chapagain sir was here, I enjoyed his company as well but now he is in Norway so only two close friends for me. Our normal movie time is 11 to 2 or 2 to 5 but in summer both these timings are not appropriate. Having no bike is quite a pain. I hope I will have one pretty soon. Then there will be loads of travelling, loads of visit to outskirts of Kathmandu but for the time being I have to keep postponing them.

Most of the people clean their room but being a pig in my earlier birth I have the symptoms till date so no cleaning things for me. Earlier I used to plan though most of the time they didn't materialize but I have got wiser and I don't even plan these days. My room is a complete mess, there are books sparsely spread around, the newspaper lying wide open on the floor, there are clothes on the sofa, the bed is not properly made and has creases. The snakes like wires of laptop, mobile, mosquito repellant, headphone, electric shaver are lying on the floor. The fur of Sane is in the carpet, luckily today there are no layers of dust in my table and book rack. When I am returning home I always see two ragged beggar looking men sitting on the pile of stinky garbage with suspicious comfort. Apart from a dirty thin piece of cloth wrapped around their belly extending to knees most of their body is bare. They sit on that pile of garbage as if they were lord Shiva meditating on the hills of Kailash. Had there been no mummy my room would have been no different than that pile but I am sure they wouldn't have been stinky. Though I am a pig, I am a pig with a class.

Sometime I am also visiting some relatives on weekends but again they are always a NO unless there are important things to do or if I am invited. I do not want guests not even friends on weekends. I would love hearing sounds of my mother, buwa, Santosh, Sarita and whining of Sane on weekends but avoid spending much time with them. Weekends are days when I want to be with myself or with books. The sound of my people is only to make me realize that I exist in this world in physicality not only in thoughts.

No comments: