Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Vegetarianism


I was not a vegetarian by birth. Its only been seven years since I turned into one. It was not a very planned decision though. I decided to shun meat products during Dashain. You will say had I gone mad. If decisions like these, in times like these make one abnormal then I think I have never been normal. But yes I turned a vegetarian in the evening after feasting with varieties of meat items in the morning with friends and family. I have no intention to describe you the story that inspired me to be a vegetarian.
Veggies are always a pain among people who love nonveg. In parties or any get together people have to take special care to ascertain that no nonveg stuffs are mixed with food meant for vegetarian. In my department of fifteen, I am the only veggie and a real pain in the butt for the entire staffs when it comes to arranging a feast or just a lunch. I am the one that do not fit with them. People here do not prefer fruits or milk products; be that sweets, yoghurts or the likes but because I am the odd one and also an executive they have to consider me though reluctantly. Again all my friends are non vegetarian, so even when we go out together we can’t share what we order. Sometime I cannot pick the vegetarian stuffs just because they use the spoon which they have used with their non-veg items. Whenever we go out for food, rather than the location and appeal of the restaurant we have to check if they serve veggie food or not. If we go to picnic I need to be taken care of. Usually they cook the veg stuffs first and the nonveg. I am always a spoil spot. When I am in restaurant with colleagues and we decide to share a pizza, even if they like chicken pizza they have to content themselves with mushroom, capsicum or any other veg pizza because I don’t take the one with chicken.
In our society a party is no party unless there are non-veg stuffs. In every get together and family gatherings there are roasted chicken, grilled mutton, fish curry, drum stick, chicken chilies etc. Now you can guess who the odd man out is. My aunts have to add one or other things which would have been completely mismatch with the menu had there been no eccentric me. They have to cook paneer or mushroom because in gatherings no one eats plain food or the routine rice, pulse, curry and pickles, it needs to be different. This is not my belief it is the belief of our society. If you had to eat plain and regular meal, you could have done that at home why should there be parties, this is the common belief about parties.
I am the real impediment at home. Unfortunately even in my home I am the only veggie. Mummy thinks whenever she cooks non-veg which is a special item in the regular menu, I also deserve to have something special and just because to be impartial to me she has to make an additional item. Many times my brother and father want to have the ‘bhat’ with only chicken soup or fish curry. If I had been a non vegetarian mummy would only cook ‘bhat’ and the soup but I am there.
Now, I am not proud of giving other troubles to take special consideration of me. Just to avoid troubling them I have missed so many get together citing work loads. Many times when I am with friends and we plan for dining out I complain about stomach ache or no appetite so that they can choose restaurant of choice without considering if they serve veggie stuffs or not. Just because of that I have to ask mummy to cook food for me even if I am out with friends.
I had not turned into vegetarian by taking some kind of unbreakable oath. When I left I had said I will stay away from non-veg until I do not feel like having them. I don’t know how long will I be able to remain vegetarian. Many of my friends and relatives who have been hard core vegetarian, who would puke even if there is aroma of non-veg food, have turned into non vegetarian especially after going abroad. Let’s see how long can I go.

No comments: