Monday, July 14, 2008

An incident spiced with fun


Brushing his teeth, S asked what might be U doing now, where might he have reached. U is one of my cousins among many cousins. Yesterday he left the country to seek his future in Australia. I didn’t go to see him off, I don’t like doing those things. We used to go hysteric with laughter on smallest of the matters, however serious the matter could have been we were highly skilled to make it look funny. That is the fun when you have relatives of your age. One thing we loved to do was framing each other, pulling legs and pushing one another to weirdest of circumstances. Me, my brother and two cousins made a great team. After being hooked in the job and due to paucity of time the fun remained only in the memories. Some of the incidents are so funny and freaky that I want to possess them for myself.
So, when S asked the question I remembered one of the funniest incidents. Not very long ago, I used to go to Pashupati at evenings. I enjoyed the chants, evening prayers or ‘aarti’ and the whole ambience. It surprisingly gave me a peace of mind. The atmosphere helped to heal the dizziness of the day, forget the rushes, meetings and the likes. I would sit on the floor of a temple in the courtyard of Pashupati facing the western gate of the main temple watching the gentle clapping of hands, eyes closed in concentration and the attempts to become selfless.
One such evening I found U wandering in the courtyard with his friend K. K is of our age but a little dull and we mock him big time. He has unusual accent and tender hands. I called them and we sat together at first chatting on how good it feels to be in the holy premises at that point of day and other similar stuffs. Then K brought the topics of girls. Beautiful girls also flocked the temple in evenings and it was a bonus deal. They agreed to come in evenings every day.
One evening there it was some kind of auspicious day according to Hindus’ calendar and the temple was more crowded than in any other normal day. I was sitting in my regular place when U and K joined me. After talking for a while, they said they wanted to bow before one special deity in the courtyard and left me to join later. U came back elated. Today is my day he told with delight. I was used to his behavior of elevating things. I was also certain it had to do with girls. So I asked him who he met. He said while offering the prayer there was a beautiful girl by his side and there was a mob around the deity. While offering the flowers and doing the ‘parikrama’ his had touched hers. He looked into her eyes and she looked at him in surprise. He touched her hand again which slowly opened which added to his excitement. He slowly moved his hand into hers and she instead of moving away her hands clutched his hands. They were tender. She was very fast as she did not hesitate to tighten their lock. But due to the crowd they got separated. Now he was looking for the girl.
How did she look? I asked in excitement. She had dark complexion, big eyes and little shorter than him. Believe me I can win that girl if I find her again. K joined us smiling but he is quite an introvert. We had to put enough pressure on him to reveal why he was so much glistening with smile. He said he fell for a girl who was little taller than himself. She was really beautiful, he was thrilled. Now U and I were after him bully him. He responded with his trademark shyness and embarrassment. But yes he was in the seventh heaven. After some time he said the girl had the ring quite similar to that of U. Now I smelled something fishy. I asked where did he find the girl and what happened between them. He said he met her at the same spot where U had met his girl when he was standing little behind U. upon nagging he told the similar thing U had told. They had actually caught each other hands but fell for the same girl. It was so hilarious. There was no way I could stop laughing. U was dropped bang into the ground from the sky and he had gloomy aura. K was embarrassed but I had the fun. I laughed all the way to home. Bound by my nature and my relationship with U, I told all others what had happened. I couldn’t stop laughing even today when S mentioned him and that incident came out of nowhere. It was a classic comedy scene.

No comments: