Tuesday, June 3, 2008

My day started well

I would like to believe that I am the coolest member in my family. People become cool in many ways and they become hot in not lesser ways. Hot sounds arousing and cool sound chilled. I am cool in the sense that I don’t get angry easily. I am not hot because I myself hate watching myself in the mirror. Yes I think I am that terrible.
But as far as me resistant to anger is concerned I can boast a little. At least my mother can rarely make me angry. However she may chide me, complain about me, I look at her as if nothing has happened and I have heard nothing. Unfortunately because I do not respond she ends up getting angry and leaves me saying things that vanish before the words reach my ear. The way I do not respond makes a more effective response. If I yell back, the argument only brews up and heats and I end up breaking her heart. That does not fulfill anything and I have to do a lot to win her back. Rather than that I just watch her with my shameless eyes. One might fight against so many things shamelessness is something that no one wants to fight. And my helpless mum has to leave mumbling into the kitchen. I feel pity on her but my amusement is far more than the pity. It’s a feeling of triumph. I do have to butter her to make her forget everything. She is same mummy soon after, how can she not speak to me when I am there. See, I am a terrible son. If you want to see the laziest person in the whole earth, come to see me. I am completely mismanaged. Come to my room and see how the clothes are thrown here and there. Watch my room for wires lying like a lazy snakes all over. Watch my table and do not blame me if you find a layer of dust in it. Look into my mirror to look uglier because of the spots all over it. I change my clothes and do not care where to put them and where they are until I need it next time. Well, I will elaborate on my laziness some other time. But let me use this time trying to prove how cool I am. There are so many times when I have acted cooler than I thought I could. Today, there was a small incident.
I left my home early in the morning to catch the micro-bus from chabahil. It is not difficult to get a seat in public transport early in the morning and I got one. I am accustomed to paying ten rupees from chabahil to ghantaghar, so when the conductor asked me for the fare I handed him 10 Rs. and I just forgot it. Few minutes later the conductor handed me three rupees back, being a good citizen, I told him I had given him ten rupees and I am from chabahil. By that I meant he had made a mistake and he didn’t have to return me anything. Now, I don’t know what was the state of the conductor, he was furious. ‘Didn’t u give me ten rupees?’ his voice was raised. ‘Do you want to travel free?’ he shot another question before I could say anything. I preferred to remain numb and after all it was his loss. I wondered why he got angry. Then I realized that students get around thirty percent discount in public transport and he had certainly assumed me a student. I looked at my shirt, it was like that of a college (in fact it is my college shirt, I have forgotten to grow up long before I was in college). A bag that normally a college student carries was lying in my lap and I had shaved just yesterday. I am small, in college shirt, with a bag and probably look younger oops I was a student. He was asking for identity card to all others who were telling they were student but he didn’t feel it was necessary to ask me. Then why did he yell at me, I found the answer. He thought when I said I had given him ten rupees and was from chabahil he thought I was asking for more return. Already the conductors are agitated as most of the passengers hand him an identity card with the fare. More than the real students, other people use the concession facility in public transport. Whether it is a professor or an old lady who must have left studies years ago have identity cards in their hand. Sometime the passengers who cannot read their own name have identity card of a graduate student.
I had to get off and while getting off I told the conductor that I was no student and he shouldn’t have got tempered. Before he could understand the driver had pushed the accelerator and the three rupees remained with me. So, the day has started as a lucky day.

No comments: