Wednesday, June 4, 2008

A morning not much different

I woke up after a good night’s sleep. I had woken up in the middle of the night and felt delighted as it was raining outside and went back to sleep. From last three days I am doing morning walks. Today morning and the surrounding environment greeted me differently. The earth had got its bath. The thirsty trees were humming with the cool morning breeze and the shy grasses were bent as if they were watching the racing ants in amazement. I loved it. The dusts had settled with the rain and the morning was bright but not hot. I knew today’s morning walk will be a treat. I left home in excitement and loved to see the leaves drenched in rain. Few drops of water had not burned away and they still held those drops in pride. I felt light as if a little boy had got a surprise birthday gift. I looked at the sun with the shrunk eyes, he seemed to be smiling like in those cartoons. The dogs had woken up early and were busy playing with each other even they seemed to have felt wonderful. Friends are so important to all of us and their presence is always a welcome, even the dogs wouldn’t have differed. The tarred road had dried. In spite of the rain there was a long queue of men, women and children waiting to fill their buckets in the public tap. People with their brushes in mouth and the fizz coming out, women with their petticoat pulled up above their breasts and children in their knickers everyone was there. Women were busy talking about yesterday’s dinner, new saree and their family and men passing time with politics. Children seemed less interested and were missing their bed early in the morning. During summer more people hoard for morning walk. There were many people in their vests, trousers and track suits. Many of them had a stick in their hand to shoo away the moneys. Even monkeys had flocked in, in large number and waiting for the walkers to feed them. Many people bring grains, biscuits and fruits for the mischievous animals. Dogs are usually larger and stronger than monkeys but in Pashupati and Guheshwori area, dogs are outnumbered by the monkeys and are hence fall among oppressed categories. Mother monkeys held their infant under their belly. The babies were not afraid when their mother ran, leaped or jumped. Some kids sometime play with others ensuring that their parents are around them. Unlike most of animals, monkeys live in family. I believe the troops consist of many nuclear families. Even if you are a daily visitor you’ll never fail to see monkeys fighting with each other. They make terrible faces when bullied.
On my walk many overtook me and I overtook many, this is just a small journey but so much attributed to life. There was more water in the holy Bagmati thanks to the rain. Kathmandu has one of the most weird climate in the world, its terribly hot and once it rains the temperature drops like the monkeys dropping from one branch of a tree to next. It was not surprise to see many people in full sleeved shirts and other garments. The steps in Guheswori was wet and the beggars were there just like the statues. I have never given them anything.
After looking over my ‘Kundli’ an astrologer had said, I had some obstacles due to planets and I ought to pray lord Shiva. Mummy had asked me to chant ‘Om Namo Shivaya’ all the way to Pashupati but I usually forget after being distracted by girls. Unfortunately I have never seen a stunning girl during my morning walks but this is one thing on which I never want to loose hope. Naughty me…
There are loads of people playing football, bad minton and many more practicing yoga. Yoga has been the hot activity in the city recently, thanks to Ramdev Baba. Everyone is doing breathing exercises and flexing their bodies. People seem to have become more health conscious or may be more people have health related problem these days. Even I do morning walk to flatten my belly.
I love watching the city from the Kailash hillock. The crowded city looks interesting though, I know if I were to see the same sight in the day, I will be like ‘yuck’. On the other side people are busy in their yoga, a group of youth are playing football, some are busy with bad-minton, many are jogging and some practicing martial arts. I have no clue if it’s the inspiration from the human counterparts or just by themselves even the dogs are running and playing in the morning. Some are returning while some coming. Weird sounds come from people doing yoga, they are yelling, laughing, moaning as a part of their yoga ritual. It’s a comparatively soothing morning. The bells ringing in Pashupati also runs the vibration all around my body.
I have to leave for work and I am already getting late. I hurry back to home. The queue in the public tap has only lengthened and now people are quarrelling as the water falling from the tap is thinner. The sun has become hotter; the playful dogs have vanished into shades. The rather uninteresting part of my routine had started.

No comments: