Thursday, June 26, 2008

My beloved flash drive

My sleep broke at around 3:15 in the morning and the chances to fall back to sleep seemed very bleak but at that time there was nothing I could do. I played few songs and they repeated twice and then I fell back to sleep. I had strange dreams. I was standing on the bank of Bagmati river, because of the rain the level of water had risen and it looked fierce. The water was muddy and thick as if it had washed away an entire hill, there were many people with me. I don’t remember much of the dream, then I found myself at the corridor of the head office, to my knowledge there is no corridor in the head office. Even if there is one, I haven’t seen it. I was standing at one of the door asking a man to replace my damaged USB device, then someone seemingly a high level officer appeared at the other end of the corridor he asked the other one to immediately replace my flash drive but he looked enraged due to something. In reality my flash drive is really damaged and I have already sent it to the head office for replacement. Yesterday I don’t remember I talked about the flash drive but there it was in my dream. Flash drive has become part of my life as I always have one or other thing to take from home to office and vice versa. I would miss my cell at home but I will never miss my flash drive. However petite it is, it has become part of my work and hence part of my life but I had never imagined it to be a subject of my dream. Had the other people in the dream been acquainted faces, the dream could have some things with them but since I did not recognize them, they must have been trivial. The protagonist of my dream was obviously my flash drive.
As a part of my daily routine when I work, read or write whether at home or at office I have this peculiar habit of copying the things in my pen drive so that I can have a backup of my work. If I lose the work at home I will have its copy at office and vice versa. Flash drive is a cordial object with which I can have my work redundantly spread at home and office or in the web. I go to office and switch on my computer and religiously insert my flash drive into the USB port whether or not I have got to do something with it. It contains my treasures and my secrets. I always took it for granted, trusted it, trusted its brand. I used it many times everyday and it worked for me thanklessly. When something or someone is always with us, we tend to take them as if we take our shadows; they are part of our life. We take them for granted. They are appendages of our life the third limb if I can say that. We don’t thank our legs every time we walk and reach the destination, we don’t thank our hand every time when it dexterously does anything for us, so I never thanked my flash drive. I never took my flash drive the way one takes a pendant with ones’ lover’s picture on it and watch it emotionally. I don’t think anyone kisses his legs thanking it for carrying one from one place to another for bringing about mobility in life. Same was the flash drive for me. When I lent a ball pen to a friend I was bound to forget it and it will never return but if I lent someone my flash drive, I would never forget that. I never sat to consciously think about it, the benefits it had given to me. When the flash drives came to the market they were luxury, I wanted them to be cool. When one has a new gizmo at hand it gives him an edge something he/she can flaunt about. I had a 256 MB flash drive earlier and I held it like a treasure, then I got a 1 GB flash drive from office about which I am writing. In 1 GB I could carry home movies, pictures, documents, my office works among so many other things. I never consciously feel its important unless it broke down. When it didn’t work on one computer I doubted the USB port of the computer itself but when it didn’t work in other as well my heart was broken. I never thought without it I would be so lame, now how will I move my works between home and office. Its quite a cheap device still I didn’t want to buy it as the office was liable to replace it.
When I went to office I had nothing to insert into the USB port, I sent it for a quick replacement but thanks to the prolong process I haven’t yet received after almost fifteen days. In these fifteen days I had to adjust in the way of my work. I was crippled. I couldn’t stop working just because my flash drive was out of work. The first thing I tried was keeping my documents in the FTP to which I could even connect from home and upload or download upon requirement. Now one might wonder why not sending it in email or getting shared internet ftp e.g. www.4shared.com but we have connectivity that is sluggish than the slug itself. I hoped as the due to short distance the access from my FTP will be fast but to vain. It took almost same time as downloading from internet shared directories would have taken. There was no way I could use the ftp to move my work (larger in size) between home and office. Then apathetically I zeroed on the use of CD, yuck a cumbersome process of burning of data. At office I have to move my work to the computer where the CD writer was and then confirm if CD writing software is present if the operating system do not have the provision and watch as the progress bar shows 100% completed. Sometime in the middle of the write a cruel message box appears out of nowhere telling about some problem and many times the entire CD will be of no use. I miss my flash drive bitterly then, rarely did it bicker me with those rude messages. The process was fast. Even if I didn’t take bag I could carry the flash drive in my pocket but with CD not possible (I do not use small CDs). With flash drive I never had problem of renaming my work. I could simply delete my old version of work and replace with new but with CD (I use writable CDs, no rewritable ones) I have to rename my work may be by stamping it with date before writing it into the CD, what a misery.
I had never noticed that the diminutive flash drive was so mighty. I had never ever thought in my weirdest dream that I would miss it. But I really do, I hope I will get one very soon. I hope when I get the new flash drive it will be quite an emotional moment, for now I have realized how much it had simplified my life. It was an irreplaceable weapon in my arsenal.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

"...I have this peculiar habit of copying the things in my pen drive so that I can have a backup of my work." - That is a good habit. I always make it a point to back up my files in case my flash drive will be misplaced or corrupted. It would be a pain to retrieve all of the contents. - Marko