Sunday, June 8, 2008

7th June 2008

Kathmandu is getting hotter every year. Last two nights I took a real long time to sleep. Last night I couldn’t feel asleep without struggling. My sleep broke up early but at that time my home does not wake up. After lying in the bed for more than an hour I knew it was time for morning walk. Though I was awake for a long time, I didn’t want to get out of my bed and thought about missing the walk today. Remaining in bed was not a good idea so I got out of the bed lazily. When I was on the road I realized I was little late today. Being the weekend, to see more people was expected but when I was at the crossroad in Gaurinagar it was like half of the Kathmandu had come for morning walk.
With lesser sleep I can’t feel fresh so there was no exuberance in my morning walk. More people mean more monkeys will be invited in the road in expectation of biscuits, fruits and grains. Watching the playful monkeys early in the morning is pleasing. It must have rained in the hills I saw the otherwise stagnant Bagmati flowing. The temple was crowded but that had nothing to do with me as I do not enter the main temple. I ask for blessings from outside. I was yawning and had no energy, even my legs were aching and there was pain in my neck. I had planned for a movie with a friend but I thought I should rather cancel it; I had no cravings for anything.
I have started a new book. It’s a popular nepali novel by Parijat. When I read anything I usually begin with the preface, it gives what should we expect from the book. This was the worst preface I had read. Unfortunately it was written by a recognized Nepali litterateur. The first thing was that it was unnecessarily lengthy, second it was more like an essay and had no concern with the content of the novel and the worst was it discloses the content of the novel. I was so pissed off with the novel and felt like suing the publisher’s. There is no point in reading a book when you know its content. However this is the second time I am reading this book. Actually I had read it few years back and was amazed how a woman author could write a man’s perspective on so many things. I had however forgotten the whole novel except the main story line. The novel is considered as a milestone in Nepali literature so I had bought the book few months back and there I was with the book. Being a short book, I will finish it by Monday. I will get salary this week and I have determined to buy at least one book every month. My life has been a complete mess and its one of my attempts towards its management and plan.
After reading the preface, I was so ireful that I even thought about not reading the book. I had thought of reading a book written by the preface writer but now I have promised myself that I will never read him.
Walking was not easy. The clouds that had blanketed the valley had made it hotter. I had no zeal and the heat only worsened my expectation of the day. May be it will rain today. When I was in the woods I was completely soaked in sweat and my foot was burning. The only thing I was thinking was returning home and lie flat in my bed expanding my hands with my foot wide open. How wonderful it would have been if it had drizzled. At reaching home I would first take a shower but Sane was already waiting for me. He won’t let me sit quietly unless I take him for a walk. He came wagging his tail and whined which indicated he was in a hurry. I was with him in the open a moment later.
Though I had thought about cancelling the movie, I was not sure if I get a rest at home. My cousin has come home from hostel and he is a heap of questions, a real misery when you want peace. I was confused whether I should go to the movie or be an answering machine for the whole day. I was really annoyed. Luckily Sane is no scamp in the day. Otherwise sitting with three mischiefs will be a real pain in the butt.
I was lying in my bed with the book in my hand and was enjoying the read though knowing how the story will develop, thanks to the preface. Since I had planned about cancelling our plan to go for a movie, I expected to finish the book by the evening. I was feeling drowsy and languid.
Usually Saturdays, I get many newspapers and go through them; I had no efforts to read anything else. After the morning meal I crept into my room for a good siesta. Amid the sounds of yelling and fighting children I could doze off and woke up fresh. Next moment I had promised my friend to be at the theatre. The film turned out to be a real treat. That’s what I call acting, just loved it.

No comments: