Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Mistake

No one commits mistake intentionally and I am no exception. Someone so correctly quoted ‘people commit mistake in hurry and repent it when free’. Here I am not writing about any blunder but about a rather funny incident which could have made me embarrassed. While many people learn from their mistakes while people like myself just repeat similar mistake more miserably. I hope this time it will be a lesson that I will not try to forget.
Last week two cousins dropped in over the morning meal. We sat and talked about so many things. They are about five years younger than me. While watching TV we talked about media, books, celebrities, music and movies. We talked about the latest releases and how recent movies failed to make an impact. They asked me if I have any movies in stock and as I had; I told I do have few DVDs and brought all of them before the girls. They had seen few flicks, had heard about some while they had no idea about others. They asked me the storyline of the flicks about which they didn’t know. Then they had ‘American Pie-The Naked Mile’ and one of them asked me what kind of movie is it. I told them that it was a sex comedy and it is not supposed to watch it before parents and anyone with whom one is not comfortable. One of the girl said she had heard about ‘American Pie’ and they said they will watch it when there will be no one. I obviously was not so serious about the movie and gave no thought about the content. I would have happily watched it with friends no matter if they are girls (I have not watched it with any ladies though). I don’t know why I thought I could give that DVD to my cousins. I gave them the DVD and they took it with them and I was at my home without thinking anything. I went at bed at 9:15 PM. I take quite some time to fall asleep and it was so hot that I couldn’t fall asleep. As usual, my body was physically in the hot bed while my brain was running wild. Very often I think about the whole day, how it was and what did I do. Then all of a sudden the images of those DVDs swirled before my closed eyes. I remembered the girls clad in two piece bikini and then I tried to remember few scenes from the movie about which I had used the word ‘funny’. Then the first scene came to my mind where a boy is shown masturbating and his granny dies out of shock when the semen mistakenly fall over her. There were many more scenes which can be objectionable in our culture and to worsen it I had given it to my cousins ‘FIVE YEARS YOUNGER THAN ME’. Already I was struggling to fall asleep and recollections from the movie had my hair stand on their end. I cursed myself. How can I be so silly? What will the girls think about me when they watch the movie? The movie is still funny and it is not an adult movie yet as I told earlier the movie had objectionable scene and it is certainly not meant to be gifted from a brother to sister. God, how will I ever face them. I became defensive thinking may be I am being over reactive. Since the girls are exposed to all form of media and all format of entertainment, they will not take it seriously. What am I supposed to do. I planned to visit them early in the morning and tell them I had given my reports DVD thinking it was a movie DVD. I again thought may be I should visit them and ask them to bring water or tea and then slip the DVD in my bag. It was rather funny. I didn’t know what to do. I thought the former idea will work fine. I also thought it’s a small issue and I should not bother about it. I foolishly also thought of giving them a call and asking them they were given a movie they are not supposed to watch and will request them not to watch it. What if the elders found the DVD and ask them where did they get them? It was the worst case. I tried to raise my chest and try to get rid of the fear, I had nothing to fear. After all we live in 21st century and one cannot restrict another from watching anything.
I woke up early and luckily I had forgotten the whole issue as I was getting late for training. I hurried to the training centre. I did think about the thing in the day but what will I do at that time. In the evening I thought of dropping in at their home to claim the DVDs but I was too tired and hungry. Who cares? I was bold now and I was at home. I being a chicken at heart was still troubled by the thought. I guessed they might have already watched the movie and they might have already made an opinion about me. ‘Shameful’ was my most expected adjective. I had lost something, I realized. At office today I remained bothered about the whole thing and finally made up my mind to give them a call and learn if they have watched the movie. If they said ‘yes’, I will secure my position by telling them I felt so bad when I realized what movie I had given them and tell them I am embarrassed. If they had not watched the movie I will recover the DVD in the evening.
I called one of them. I tried to convince her that I wanted an email address and in between I asked if they have watched the movies. To my greatest relief she told me, they had no time to watch it. I told her, I had a piece of work in her neighborhood and I might drop in to their place. I felt so good when I hung up and I left the office little early. I went to their place and told them I had given them a wrong movie and I took it from them and brought it back. While returning back I felt more foolish thinking what the girls might have thought when I said I had given them the ‘Wrong Movie’. To push lies in dark always leaves loop-holes behind. I am still feeling foolish. I however still feel, the movie was not that offensive I just didn’t want to take a risk. I must have left their eye-brows raised when I said ‘I had given them wrong movie?’ What kinds of movies are wrong specially when they have pictures of girls clad in bikini in its cover.

No comments: