Monday, June 9, 2008

Pondering in an evening

In the tranquility of my room, I was enjoying walking the lanes of my senses. I have read quite a lot in last few days in the internet, it is always a fun to peek into people’s heart. However they have been, I have liked every one of them. Inspired by one of them, I have asked myself to read at least twenty books a year. I have told myself to write a minimum of five blogs a month. While contemplating on these ideas I realized I had not wished anything for a long time. I knew asking myself a ‘why’ will just be futile, so I skipped it.
Just a thought of reading twenty books a year had excited me so much that the very next thing I planned was to get a membership of a British library. I wished that very moment I was in the library picking books to borrow. I didn’t have the contact information of the library so I postponed it for the afternoon. In office I got busy and when I had time I had forgotten the thing but the thought revisited me and I used the internet to find the contact information of the British council. I knew British Councils do not usually entertain queries on phone but I just thought about giving a try. Luckily they seem they were ready for queries but I was disappointed to know that they had closed the library. British Library was the only library rich in books. I tried to google the name and address of the libraries in Kathmandu and I was shocked to find there were very few libraries and few were in the outskirts of the city while others wanted no members. I could afford to buy at least one book a month but I am out of money around middle of the month.
I have many books in my computer and I can read even thick volumes in computer. Then again there is a problem, I sit before computer more than twelve hours a day and if I start reading in computer, I will go insane. Though I have a laptop, portability is always an issue while reading in computer. Reading real book is much more interesting than straining eyes before the computer. I still feel obliged to computer as I have read more than a dozen of book in computer and now I manage to read lengthy blogs in the internet.
Had there been library I could have thought of exceeding my ’20 books’ quota. Wow I would have been so proud. My ’20 books’ would not count technical stuffs. Now I wonder how I am going to get books. My excitements are often ephemeral, one day I am so thrilled about a thing and the next I loose the charm. Among many pitfalls in me, lack of proper determination is one. I would like to know how are people so lenient if I get an answer may be that will help me. More than determination I make excuses, I think. Most of my plans do not work and I dump them more than I prepare for them.
Then there is another thing in my wish list. I want to write a minimum of five blogs a month. I know this will be easy if my first wish list is fulfilled. While reading books so many ripples dances in my conscience. They make me think a lot. Many times I take much time to read because while reading I ponder too often. This deviation and analysis makes my own opinions and hence that becomes the subject for me to jot. Writing is not a big deal, I am fond of observing things, people, and environment and again they arouse thoughts in me. Even then I have to hold these thoughts. Most of the time, I get triggered while in road, while working in office while talking to a friend while in a meeting etc. i.e. in places and situations where I won’t be able to sit and write right away. They do stay with me but I loose the zeal to write after battling with my routine choirs. Free time makes one lazier while when busy people miss many things and make plan on it.
Let me assume, I will manage to read a minimum of twenty books a year. I have to hurry this year as its already June and I have read only two books. Eighteen is not a big number but when it comes to book i.e. eighteen books its really large. Kudos to the lady who managed to read fifty books from January to June.

No comments: