Friday, August 29, 2008

War and peace

Wow I have finished reading the epic War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy after putting it off twice earlier in my life. The first time I denied myself the treat of reading the book was when I was in class 12, I had brought it home from library but those days the studies used to be so tough that I just gave up the idea. Then I tried again three years back but the names were so confusing to me at that time that I again gave it up for the second time though it was always in the list of ‘books I want to read’ and I am so glad that I finished it. The book is simply amazing. In spite of being a canvass of almost five hundred characters, one is never entangled in conflicts or looses the track of the character. There is love, patriotism, hatred, war, self-conflicts, politics. It portraits the human life so well and one feels so much for the characters. To a wonder one does not loathe any of the characters; the enemies are given the due credits for the bravery.
Surprisingly I finished the epic of 1315 pages in mere six days thanks to no works at office and enough free time at home as well. Luckily no work has been pending because of the book. The epilogue is too beautiful the way it tries to deal with life, happiness, destiny, and rise and fall and so on. What a book?

5 comments:

Keshi said...

He's a great author. I love Anna Karenina by him.

** The epilogue is too beautiful the way it tries to deal with life, happiness, destiny, and rise and fall and so on.

Thats the kinda book I love...one that covers all sides of life.


Keshi.

restless_soul said...

@Keshi
I am reading Anna Karenina these days. I am enjoying the read...

Keshi said...

hv u seen the movie? too good!

Keshi.

restless_soul said...

@keshi
no I haven't seen it but I have been thinking of watching it but not before I read it.

Keshi said...

yes..watch it AFTER u read the book. Then u can catch certain great lines u read in the book, in action :)

Keshi.