Thursday, August 28, 2008

Morning walk along the banks of Bagmati

I woke up lazily without any mood to go for a walk. This is always a case with me, I never set foot on the road by choice but once I am in the road, the feel is so pretty. I was lulled to sleep by cool breeze yesterday. Many times it feels so good, rejuvenating to be awoke for some time with lights switched off listening the fluttering leaves, a soothing music being swept by the breeze from a distant house. So many times I feel our chase for the bigger happiness and achievements conspires to keep us aloof from the smaller happy moments. Among so many other things I love doing in night one is to see the shimmering light in the hills, I feel as if they are telling a story to me. It is such a blissful experience unfortunately it is not possible to talk with those lights from the busy Kathmandu. Before the formal bowing of heads and recognition of each other begins, the lights from the ostentatious houses dazzle ones eyes and it does not allow the concentration to be build.
I don’t know when did I fell asleep but I was awake around 4:00PM though I was reluctant to get out of bed, I had this mild headache. Yesterday I got a hint that the abominable depression is back to haunt my life and soon everything will start to appear filthy and ugly. May be that was the reason today I was lethargic, lazier than any other mornings recently. Luckily after dragging myself to the road, I had some relief and soon I was walking along the banks of Bagmati River. The river is muddy and silent. Just few years back it roared on its path during monsoon but now it appears it is just tiptoeing to avoid the eyes of passersby. It has come a long way from the point of its origin flowing like snake and soon the drops of water get polluted as they come across human habitation. I wonder why this river had to take the snaky path. I know it has no strength to cut a new path today but once it had. Why it had to follow a rather difficult path of twist and turns. May be it is its generosity that it wanted to avail its water to every part of the terrain. Unfortunately the people for whom it exhibited such generosity so that they can raise farm, produce foods etc., are polluting it and it is loosing its identity. After draining a huge budget in the name of cleaning the river, many people got richer but the face of poor river has not changed. It will only be a narrow sewage as soon as this monsoon comes to end. Generation after generation, years after years it has been washing the holy Pashupatinath and the Guheshwori temple but even the almighty god has not listened to its woes.
Upset by the litters it tries to clean them on its own depositing the plastic bags, carcasses, jute sacks on the banks but it seems helpless. Its attempt to clean itself is futile, I fear in few years there will be no Bagmati. After a little walk along the bank I notice a small boy getting his smaller birdie out to eject the stream of his own into the revered river. Soon he was peeing and he moved from left to right and back as if he was watering the garden. I felt pity for the river. A little farther the monkeys were sipping the water from the river. I felt pity for them as well.
Now as I write this I remembered something. While returning back home, a truck honked its way toward some place flying the dust all over the area. Something got into my mouth and I was coughing and wheezing. I had a gob of cough in my mouth and spat it into the river. The river seemed to give me a mocking smile. I do not think I even have the right to feel pity for the river.

1 comment:

Keshi said...

** Many times it feels so good, rejuvenating to be awoke for some time with lights switched off listening the fluttering leaves, a soothing music being swept by the breeze from a distant house.

I love doing that...true solace it is!


Keshi.