Thursday, December 18, 2008

Direct from Pokhara

I had not realized I was away from home when I took a murmuring break early in the morning. The mighty range of Annapurna was smiling at me with the Tiger Mountain on its side. Yesterday my colleague had tried to show me the shape of the tiger in the mountain which I had failed to realize. I had however confirmed the appearance of tiger in the mountain. In my night dress I had walked to the balcony to see the morning more clearly, to see the snow flowing in the slope of the mount Annapurna, just then followed the Tiger Mountain from tail to its head and I could clearly see the tiger sitting, its stripes, its tail, its face and paws were so clear. I stood with a sparkle in my eyes without a blink wondering at this work of nature. The huge white tiger made of rocks and sprinkled with snow would always get my attention throughout the day. My eyes and my heart were never satisfied with what I beheld. I wanted to slid through the wonderful mountain. The tiger rested throughout the day as it had been resting on its huge body for the entire history and will rest till eternity. I was thinking if it snowed, the snow will spill all the way to Pokhara burying the entire city, but it has never happened and I don’t think it will ever happen. In spite of a citizen from the country with so many mountains this was my closest encounter with this structure in the heart of earth. Watching the ranges from the small window of the plane had no effect on me as I remained watching the mess that the human race had created on the heart of earth in the name of civilization and development. The tiny vehicles that were moving on the vein like streets looked like ants rushing to the holes before it rains.
I don’t know how long I watched the snow tiger but I knew the sight had made my day. The morning haze had the smell of smoke but that was not the smoke of pollution but of firewood. The sweet smell suggested meals are being prepared for people. The very human race could be excused to mix this smoke into the air after all he got to survive and in this poor country not everyone can afford kerosene or gas. The smell in the smoke made me yearn for tea. I do not drink milk tea early in the morning but today nothing could substitute my longing for milk tea. The taste of tea in a small hotel, on the evening of the day I had arrived had stuck to my tongue. I just washed my face as if I were a child who had to meet a condition before being allowed to join his/her friends on play. I hadn’t brought slipper and I don’t remember when I last hated myself so much for such a small thing. Lacing the shoes would not even take a whole one minute but still that was a huge loss of time. I rushed downstairs where the guard wished me good morning with a smile however I had not yet come out from the mould of a child. I rushed to the road ignoring the guard with a annoyed smile like a child who approaches the toy he finally likes ignoring the sales staff busy showing him other toys. Five minute later my hands held a cup of tea. The city had woken long before I had woken though the shutters of most of the shops were still closed. School going girls had folded their skirts in their waist so that it would remain little above the knees. Surprisingly these girls looked more elegant than those who let their skirts flow below their knees.
This was my third visit to Pokhara but if really knowing the place is to be taken into account this is my first visit. This was still a strange city for me though people spoke my language and they looked so similar. However I had frequently seen an old woman from the very first day and even this morning I met her on my way back to my office. She smiled at me showing me the hole among her teeth. I tried to smile back and I know it was a very tightly composed smile. Encountering the same woman time and again chased away the feeling of stranger from me. I was again a free boy who had been set free to explore the entire toy shop on his own except that I was not running here and there in the city. This visit will certainly postpone my desire to take a small holiday from the routine life at least for a while. The tiger was sitting composed as if it were watching its cubs play.

1 comment:

--xh-- said...

beautiful.. i can feel the emotions.. and can visualize the scene :)