Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Falling prey to TV crew

At this moment as I sit before my laptop, an unprecedented friend recently I am overwhelmed with so many things. The confusions, thoughts are hovering at random just like the cloud I see through the edge of my window. Sun and shade are playing game while from a distant I can hear the music celebrating the biggest festival of woman the Teej, where they fast for a whole day without even sipping a drop of water, the married fasts for the well-being of their husbands and the unweds fast in order to have a good husband. They sing and dance the whole day taking their energy from God knows where. The fast will be broken tomorrow after a brief worship.
As a part of a routine these days, I feel lazy and have headache most of the day. I know I am being haunted by a new bout of depression but its been less severe this time. I hope it does not aggravate. After clicking different sites at random in office, I had just drawn my rack to find a book when a colleague announced that he was going in the volley-ball competition at the head office. As a celebration of office-day toward the middle of September, different events are organized. Thanks to the organizers I sneaked out of the office telling my seniors that our team needed spectators so I was going to cheer them up. I came to home with guilt consciousness. It probably was not a propitious time when I left my office, as I was walking on my way home, a TV crew caught me up for an opinion on the state of women in the country and the significance of ‘Teej’. On the day of women nothing but my ill luck had conspired that the TV people hunted me down. The first thing that came to my mind was my colleagues might watch it, after all they broadcast it in the prime time news. It was so disgusting. Sometime I used to wonder while these TV people catch up so many invalid people why don’t they found me. Many times I have missed opportunities like these by the inch of a hair. For not being someone who tries to jump in the crowd of mob just to be in the frame of camera. I have many times despised intelligent looking people for giving flaccid replies before the camera and have thought I would have replied better. Yes I used to want to be caught by television crew but now in situation like today. The lady with the microphone was just in front of me and there was no way I could hide my face or do something silly to avoid being interviewed. Her question ‘Are you going home?’ was a hard blow, I was so confused that I said ‘Rubbish’, I must have looked agitated. ‘I am going to a place on work and I am in a hurry’ was what I said after repossessing myself. She had just began, ‘What do you think..’ and I interrupted citing the urgency of my work. Without waiting for her response I slid away. I was so worried that they might telecast it at the time while my seniors would be sitting at their drawing rooms to watch the news. However since I had not said anything they might edit my part because in none of their opinion poll section I have seen people embarrassed like me. Then I looked back at the crew, at their van which was the intelligent thing I did. The van was painted with a logo of a channel that is only in the process of testing its transmission and very few people know that there is news-channel like that. It was a great relief. Then I thought how silly I had been because even if they had telecasted everything they do not say the time at which the opinion was sought. Since the sun was behind the clouds I would have said upon inquiry by my colleagues that while I was returning home after the game, they had caught me. I felt so foolish for acting like a child. May be I could have boasted before my colleagues that I was interviewed and asked if they saw me in TV. However there was one good thing because I could not say about the state of women and significance of the festival. I am sure I would have told, the whole festival, the idea of keeping a woman hungry just for the sake of her husband was not justified. It was against the whole concept of women emancipation that is being discussed every day in political meetings. I would have definitely said it is a different form of torture and slavery. It was an attempt to make women believe that their destiny, happiness lies in their husband because they cannot do anything on their own to buy them happiness. I know how much I despise these ideas. My comments would have been against the belief of thousands of women who were standing in the queue of 5 to 10 kilometers just to worship the phallus of Lord Shiva in the temple of Pashupatinath. The idea of phallus worship drifted my thoughts to some other territories. I looked back, the TV crew had caught somebody else, and from a little distant I could see an embarrassed smile at the face of their new prey. I walked on.

7 comments:

Keshi said...

haha nice one...another honest and a very genuine post :)


** the married fasts for the well-being of their husbands and the unweds fast in order to have a good husband


I hv seen some Hindu women doing this at the Sydney Hindu temple. I hv watched them with awe. Cos no way they're gonna make me do that, just cos Im single LOL!


I wud hv loved seeing u on TV tho ;-)

problem is, I hv never seen ur face :(



Keshi.

restless_soul said...

@keshi
even I haven't seen myself lately. Whenever I stand before a mirror it shows reflection of some horrible ghost

Keshi said...

omg dun freak me out Restless! :(

ur joking right?

Keshi.

restless_soul said...

@keshi
no it does...why would I lie..

Keshi said...

r ya telling me u really look like a ghost or do u just imagine u look like that?

Keshi.

restless_soul said...

i m ghostly but now I think that would be a wrong simile, i look weird..not regular kind...very weird indeed

Keshi said...

I like Weird better than Regular :)

Keshi.