Saturday, November 10, 2012

DV (Diversity Visa) lottery


I had a headache, probably the transition of season is to blame. Bibesh had called me since we hadn’t seen each other for a long time. He had also called Sukrat. When we were in college we were best of friends and we remained so for a long time, but as we moved on with our life we had little time for communication. We all lost that energy, had we visited ourselves during our college years our college alter-ego would have called us boring, lifeless losers. I didn’t want to go and I had called home informing I will be on time. I was returning home but I didn’t realize that I had turned to the road that would take me to our junction. I still had nausea and I knew I will only be a listener. I was pissed off with my work, with indecision and extravagance in my office.
When I was on my way to Chitwan I had noticed a banner which yelled  “Don’t miss it, only 8 days left. Ensure prosperity in your life. DV lottery 2014 !!!” I had told myself this time I won’t miss it. This would be my first time and this time I really wish I am selected.  Just a day after returning from Chitwan, I was filling the form and I placed myself in a hoard of millions of people with clichéd “American Dreams”.
Anyways they were already there in their usual unshaven, loser look, we exchanged smile. A stool was empty indifferent to whoever that would occupy it, man or a mug. They didn’t ask me to sit but I sat down. They were talking and I joined them just like the cup of tea brought by the little daughter of the tea stall. I wondered if the smile that I assumed was for me when I had joined them was really for me or for somebody else. We meet and most of our meetings are as dull as today’s. I asked the girl, I don’t need a tea. Bibesh and Sukrat didn’t notice it, they seemed equally frustrated. They only wanted to spit out the frustration, I would have joined them but the headache held me back.
Bibesh: Few days back I was consoling a colleague that “probably events, results are planned in advance, destiny really exists”. My expressions were reaction to his frustration on the appointment of a person who we have known as one of the biggest morally corrupt person, someone who showed no commitment to work, someone who was a puppet. In tenure of 6 years he had come to office in time not more than 10 days. He never stayed in office full time; there were always meetings for him. Many days he would not come to office yet he was always present in the attendance register; attendance register was always on his table. His style of work opaque, his model of management laissez faire, his ideas obsolete, his leadership non-existent and yet he sat at the top of our heads worshipped by sycophants.  Now he has moved on to take a bigger role, to put in track the establishment of new organization. The foundation is laid on weak grounds. For those who know him will probably take his appointment as endorsement of a belief – the country has lost its recognition for people with caliber. On the other note I wonder if the current environment had clipped his wings and perhaps he will be a different man altogether in a different setting. People lined up in a queue to congratulate him but they all knew he had given nothing to the organization, he had abused his authority. In our setting with bigger position accountability becomes lesser and responsibilities drop. But then there were good things about him, he never lost his cool, he listened to his hardest critics with no sign of anger. Few people are courageous enough to shake hands with you with a smile even after you have done nothing less than spitting on his face. He showed no remorse.
In a small café I was sitting sipping a cup of tea that smelled like potash. It has always smelled so in that café but still I go there for the fact that it is close by.  Two people were talking how they had gone to meet Mr. Prime Minister for a favor and how he asked them to talk with “vauju” or Sister-in-law (his wife). He said the PM is no more a clean person; he encourages what goes behind his back. He knows everything that is illegal, immoral and outright wrong doings his wife carries out. Previously he ignored it now he supports it. I do not know if what they were talking about was true but everybody talks about it in dreaded tone. She moves people  to better position after getting some token of respect. Though there have been no words on the token of respect that the person indicated in the previous paragraph has paid and the chances are little but the rumors are rife that he had the blessing of “vauju”.  They say he was summoned to the Office of PM in the morning on the day he was picked up for the coveted position. After his appointment with his head held high he said, truth wins.
The turn of events had frustrated me, I had felt the urge to vomit and the nausea remained for some time. After completing his tenure “successfully” (top position holders are never unsuccessful) he will be back to reign our organization. Rules have been bent to serve the interests of the rule makers or if it doesn’t suit them they will change it.
Bibesh talked without break, usually opinionated Sukrat chose to remain mum, perhaps he had a headache too. His body language was similar to most of the people I see these days, helpless and indifferent. He had spread himself on the chair. If somebody was looking at us from distant they could have assumed a person was talking to two dead bodies.
I had read in a newspaper today that the Vice Chancellor of a reputed University had resigned amid pressure from the political parties. He had a reputation of someone who had been able to keep politics away from university, somebody who would not give up to political pressure.
After almost 20 minutes, Bibesh thought it was now my turn. He asked “ So, how are you, what’s going on.”
I replied “same and usual. I have a headache, I am going home” as I got up.
My exit was as mundane to them as my entry was.
I stopped at a temple on the way and prayed, “God please get me selected for the Green Card.”


No comments: